What are the advantages?
1. The average excess weight loss after the Roux-en-Y procedure is generally higher in a compliant patient than with purely restrictive procedures.
2. One year after surgery, weight loss can average 60-70% of excess body weight.
3. Studies show that after 10 to 14 years, 50-60% of excess body weight loss has been maintained by some patients.
4. Gastric bypass can be particularly beneficial for patients with type 2 diabetes. According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, gastric bypass surgery improves diabetes in nearly 95% of patients, including remission of type 2 diabetes in 80% of patients.
5. We have more data on gastric bypass than any other bariatric operation, because of the length of time this procedure has been performed.